The best thing that you can do for your health and energy levels is to break your fast with something full of nutrition, and to avoid the junk morning foods, such as sugary cereals or processed juices.
Today I am going to share one of my favorite health hacks with you: a morning drink that is full of healthful benefits. It is a detoxifying, anti-inflammatory, fat-burning power drink.
When you boost the detox abilities of your liver first thing in the morning, you will find yourself more energized throughout the day. How much energy you have is directly related to how much you get done and how happy you are when you do it.
So what exactly is in this amazing drink?
Lemons have an array of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
They have been found to help break down mucus, a common cause of allergies and breathing troubles. We are producing mucus throughout the day, healthy or not, and breaking this down is crucial to maintaining a clear nasal passage and reducing the symptoms of allergies.
Another important benefits of lemons has to do with liver health and detoxification. We have numerous metabolic pathways of detox in the body, and the liver is a crucial component of detoxification.
One animal study found lemons to improve hepatotoxicity in chickens where the animals were fed toxins and liver lesions and function were assessed.
The liver-protective benefits of lemons is where the added detox comes from.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) helps your lymphatic system. The lymphatic system is comprised of the lymph nodes located throughout your body, and these lymph nodes are responsible for producing white blood cells. When this system is working better, your immune system is strong, keeping you healthy and energetic.
ACV also contains acetic acid, which has been found in a double-blind, placebo controlled study to reduce fat mass, body weight, and serum triglyceride levels in humans.
3. Spices! Cayenne Pepper, Turmeric, and Black Pepper
If there is one small change you can add into your day, add more spices in your foods.
Cayenne pepper is the best spice for upping your fat-burning in the morning. When you first wake up, you have likely exhausted the glucose stores in your body, so your body is running off of its stored fat deposits.
You can boost this fat-burning both through intermittent fasting and through adding cayenne pepper to your morning drink. Cayenne pepper has been found to boost your metabolism, leading to more fat being burned in the morning.
Turmeric is one of my favorite spices for its vast positive effects of health. It is an anti-inflammatory, has anti-cancer benefits, detoxifying agent, and much more!
Black pepper is included due to how it interacts with turmeric. Piperine, a compound in black pepper, has been shown to boost the bioavailability of curcumin, the compound in turmeric credited with most of its positive health benefits.
Now that you know all of the benefits you can get from this simple drink, I will show you how to make it.
- 12 ounces of warm water
- ½ lemon juice and lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons ACV
- Splash of cayenne pepper, turmeric and black pepper
- Honey (optional, up to 1 teaspoon) or stevia (to taste)
- Warm water and add lemon juice and lemon peel
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and stir
- Tips for when and how to make the drink:
- Make right when you wake up, and do not eat anything else for 15-30 minutes after drinking. This helps to boost the fat-burning benefits.
- You can add up to a teaspoon of honey as the drink can be a bit bitter when you aren’t used to it. It is best to slowly taper down the honey until you add little to none.
- Use organic lemons and apple cider vinegar with the mother, the cloudy part at the bottom. If you do not use organic lemons, just use the juice, skip adding the peel into the drink. Another options is stevia, which has much fewer calories and is still a natural sweetener.
- Exercise or go to the sauna after the drink and before you eat anything else. This will help to boost your metabolism and burn even more stored fat.
- If you decide to have this drink daily, it is good to purchase a glass or stainless steel straw to help protect the enamel on your teeth from the moderate acidity of the drink.
Start your morning every day with this drink to detox your liver, increase fat loss, improve digestion, and boost your immune system! Building this daily habit is incredibly helpful for our energy levels, waistline, and overall health.
Try out this drink every morning for 7 days to see how you feel, and leave a comment to let me know how it goes for you!
1. Plants Consumption and Liver Health: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4499388/
2. Vinegar Intake Reduces Body Weight, Body Fat Mass, and Serum Triglyceride Levels in Obese Japanese Subjects: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19661687
3. Capsaicin May Have Important Potential for Promoting Vascular and Metabolic Health: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4477151/
4. Therapeutic Roles of Curcumin: Lessons Learned from Clinical Trials: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3535097/